Thursday, September 18, 2008


I'm curious. I'm illiterate.

She stands behind her table beneath the shadows of St. Andrew's church.










  • The table is full of vintage rushnyky.
  • Where does she get them?
  • How did they end up on her table?
  • Why are they not valued anymore?
  • Why are they cheaper than a new towel of little interest?

The "towel" in her hand is a marriage towel - it has two birds and the date, 1965. 43 years have passed.

Are they still married? Are they dead? Why didn't their children want the ritual towel? Did they live near Kiev? What of the other towels on her table?

I collect. I buy.

Know you know me:  a curious and illiterate collector of odd things.  

What do you know about the "towel"?  

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/ukisite/rushnyk/rushnyk1.htm



2 comments:

Marilyn Doore said...

I really like how you use different text formatting in your story. It is fun to look at while I enjoy reading! I also followed your link for rushnyky as I had no idea what it was so thank you for teaching me about that.

D. Price said...

Your story has many elements of a puzzle and I suspect that you're interested in the lives of the street vendors around you. It is fascinating to see the heirlooms being resold for mysterious reasons. My idea of Russia is that people have less material wealth and the things they do have that are of value don't get donated. Do they have thrift store charities in Moscow? The photograph you published connected with your story well. The detail of the woman's face and the detail of the rushnyky clearly illustrated the character and object of your story.