June 8, 2009 – Bernice in a Box
The Story and the Excuse
The dog ate my homework. The winter months came and went like a flash, as did the spring months. I have a busy job at school and I’m on too many school committees. All of those are good reasons why I didn’t finish on time.
- · Where does she get them?
- · How did they end up on her table?
- · Why are they not valued anymore?
I am a collector of odd things. I also work at the end of a long corridor containing the AAS High School English and Social Studies classrooms. I observed a class of students working on a project. They had papers and potographs of a woman named Bernice. In short, their assignment was to write about Bernice from what they could glean from the papers, photographs, and interviews with her relatives.
Finally, I found something to spark my imagination. What if I were to tell the story of how Bernice came to be studied by hundreds of students? Could I make this work? Would anyone be interested? I had boxes of raw material – and I finally decided to “just go for it” and named by story after the assignment: Bernice in a Box.
The Technology and the Planning
Creating the movie was a little more intimidating than choosing the subject. I read several students papers that had been turned in. I looked through every paper in the box. I had ideas but who was my audience? I wanted my project to be useful.
The script was easy thanks to the excellent suggestions by Dr. Ohler.
The technical part of this project was a joint effort between AAS’s AV technician, Amerigo Tatel and me. As I said about my one minute project:
“We are an incredibly well resourced school. I manage a library with 10 employees including AV services. Our AV technician, Amerigo Tatel, is incredibly well versed in video and helps students and teachers with projects as part of his job. I certainly give credit to Amerigo for sitting down with me each step of the way and being my tutor. He helped me, guided me, and didn’t let me spend hours floundering - from the recording, to the audio editing, to showing me how to put the music in, etc. etc. etc. It was hard and I don't think that I could have done it all myself even though we have every video program known to man on our servers - and what we don't have we can get. He would say – “let’s do this with this picture to make it more interesting” or “the picture you picked isn’t good enough” or “record your message in segments”. Yes, this is my work and yes I had help. We should all be so fortunate to work in schools like mine.”
With thanks to:
· AAAS for supporting my professional development
· Dr. Jason Ohler for his suggestions and encouragement
· Beverly Racine for sharing her Aunt Bernice and Bernice’s Box
· The AAS students who researched and wrote about Bernice and helped in the production
· Mr. Amerigo, Mr. AV at AAS who loves kids and always helps teachers

No comments:
Post a Comment